Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cubs Win 5-2, take 2 of 3 from the Pirates

The Cubs won again today, defeating the Pirates 5 to 2. Carlos Zambrano was very effective today: 6.1IP, ER, 7H, 6Ks. He even got ejected in the 7th inning while arguing a call at home plate when Nyjer Morgan was ruled safe on a bang-bang play on a wild pitch. I could not see the play because a beer vendor was blocking my view, but Zambrano acted as if Morgan was out. His ejection was one for the ages as he bumped into the umpire then acted like he was throwing the ump out of the game. On his way to the dugout, Zambrano launched the baseball into deep left field, threw his glove into the dugout, and beat the hell out of the Gatorade machine. Hopefully Zambrano does not get suspended, but I have a feeling he will miss at least one start, for me it was worth it!

Offensively the Cubs were solid once again. They got things going early when Milton Bradley tripled to right to score Ryan Theriot in the first inning. Then Reed Johnson grounded into what should have been a double play, only the Pirates' shortstop made a throwing error and he was safe, allowing Bradley to score the second run. The game was tied going into the bottom of the 8th when Johnson hit a solo-HR to left (this was immediately after he made a catch at the wall in CF), his HR was the game winner. The Cubs tacked on two more runs in the 8th when Andres Blanco and Jake Fox each doubled. Fox's double was more impressive, since he pinch-hit (Blanco started), and he worked his way to a full count after being down 1 and 2. This was great to see, Fox showed some composure at the plate, and provided some much needed power for the Cubs.

Additionally, the bullpen was great. Angel Guzman, Carlos Marmol, and Kevin Gregg combined for 3 scoreless innings to end the game. These three guys should end every possible game for the Cubs when they have a lead. Also, Derrek Lee grounded into his first double play of the year. I feel bad because I jinxed him, when I said to my roomate (as he came to the plate) "He has not grounded into any you know what's yet this year" and sure enough he then grounded into a double play. Milton Bradley seemed pumped up today, he showed a lot of emotion after his RBI Triple and after he drew a walk later in the game.

I was lucky enough to fall into a free ticket today, my roomate, Peter, had an extra ticket at the last minute, and I took advantage. We sat in the upper deck and had a great view of the action. When I have sit in the actual stadium this season, I have not been to a loss.

My personal 2009 Cubs record: 4 and 1.
The next game I am attending as of right now: 6/14 vs Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment