Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let's try this again...

Last night's game was postponed with no set make-up date. I still do not understand why they could not just do a day-night double-header today? Today the Cubs and White Sox are set to renew their annual cross-town series, weather permitting. Today however, there is no rain the forecast. This afternoon, Ryan Dempster (4-3, 3.87 ERA) will face John Danks (4-5, 4.81 ERA). Carlos Zambrano, who was slated to start last night has been moved back to Thursday, and will face Gavin Floyd.

I have been critical of Dempster's pitching at times this season. He has been inconsistent at best. Control has been a big issue for Dempster, especially early in games. It seems he always gives up runs early and then settles down as the game goes along. Dempster has been pitching well of late (although his record does not show it) his ERA has dropped below 4.00 for the first time this season. I do expect a good start from him tonight, if he allows 3 runs or less, I will be happy. Hopefully, he can avoid being scored upon early, and get into a groove.

Other thoughts: I have heard a rumor that the make-up for last night's game could be on September 3rd, a Thursday, when I assume both the Cubs and the Sox will be in town. How awesome would it be if either team were in the hunt at that point of the season? The game would mean that much more, plus the Cubs would presumably have Aramis Ramirez back. Furthermore I walked through Wrigleyville this morning around 9:15 am and there was already a buzz around the park. ESPN 1000 personalities Waddle & Silvy were doing a live show from Bernie's, which was actually open, but were they serving alcohol? I do not know. Then I saw Carlos Quentin pulling into the parking lot in a black Tahoe with his entourage, I am glad he is not playing. Also, today is my birthday, and every year I am lucky enough to have a Cubs vs. Sox game on this day, I am a lucky guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment