Friday, April 24, 2009

Another new lineup for the Cubs

This afternoon I heard that Manager, Lou Piniella, made a few more adjustments to his batting order. This included Ryan Theriot moving to Lead-off, Alfonso Soriano dropping into the 3-spot, Aramis Ramirez moving back to his rightful place, the cleanup spot, and finally Derrek Lee being dropped to the 5-hole.

I love Ramirez in the cleanup spot, this is where he belongs. He is our most clutch hitter and he hits for power. I like Theriot in the lead-off spot, he's hitting over .400, and is fast enough to steal the occasional base. He also takes a lot of pitches. I am not sold on Soriano in the 3-spot. It seems that he has never responded well when Piniella has moved him there before. Hopefully, this time the results will be better. I would expect Milton Bradley, despite how much he's sucked recently, to eventually bat in this spot (due to his high OBP). It was only a matter of time before Lee got dropped in the order. He is no longer powerful enough to bat cleanup and doesn't make enough contact or take enough walks to bat third. Hopefully he responds well to the change. I will be interested to see how long Piniella stays with Lee this season. Especially since Micah Hoffpauir now seems most likely to play first base only. I don't see Piniella making a change anytime soon, he has shown a lot of faith in Lee, for what reason, I do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment