Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My thoughts on Opening Day 2009

Yesterday I was lucky enough to attend my Third straight Chicago Cubs Home Opener. As usual the weather was lousy but the game was played. I began my day by heading up to Wrigleyville around 10:15 to start pre-gaming (drinking). Unfortunately I have to take the CTA to get to Wrigley Field and being the lazy guy I am, I took the Blue-Line to Jackson transferred to the Red-Line and took that all the way to Addison, this route really sucks.
I walked past the ballpark at 11 am en route to my girlfriends apartment and saw thousands of fans ready to get in the stadium and endure another long season of Cubs baseball. My pre-game routine usually includes a bar (The Full Shilling, etc) but today I chose to party at my lady's apartment with some friends. I had a few beers and some rum mixed with Diet Dr. Pepper, managing to generate quite a nice buzz before the game.
By 12 pm I was ready to go and excited for the game. I had great seats, Aisle 19 Row 8, Seat 12. These seats are directly behind home plate and 8 rows up. I was attending the game with three of my relatives, who promptly notified me at noon, that they would not be joining me for the game. Luckily, they had given me my ticket in advance. However this was quite weak since now I would have to sit alone at the game like some jerk! Also, I was unable to get out to Northbrook and pick up the other three tickets on such short notice. I weighed my options: 1) I could scalp the ticket. But who would pay to sit alone? Or 2) Suck it up and go to the game solo. I eventually chose option 2.
On my way into Wrigley I got my complimentary Cubs magnet schedule, 2 beers, and peanuts. I then got to my seat just after the National Anthem. Here I was drinking alone in the rain on Opening Day! Next I made it a point to sneak my friend Justin down to my seats. I still can't believe the fat loser next to me would not give me his stub to sneak my friend down with, this guy said he did not want any trouble and thought I would steal said ticket stub. What a tool. I suspect the shorts and visor he was wearing in early April should have tipped me off to the fact that this guy sucked.
I was able to make it through the whole game and I managed to drink 5 beers in 8 1/2 innings, which is not bad. The Cubs cruised to a 4-0 victory behind Ted Lilly. This was the first time I had ever seen the Cubs win on Opening Day in person. Once Kevin Gregg struck out the last Rockies hitter, I walked quickly through all of the wet crowds all the way out of the stadium, and was thankful that I didn't have to stand there and listen to the truly lame "Go, Cubs Go" song and the fools who sing along.

My personal record at 2009 Cubs games: 1 and 0. Next game I'm going to as of right now is 5/2 vs Florida Marlins.

My thoughts on the game

Ted Lilly was great! 6.2 IP, H, 8K. I was so drunk that I was unaware Lilly was taking a no-hitter into the 7th. Lilly was awful in his prior two starts in Houston and New York (pre-season), where he was leaving pitches out over the plate and giving up lots of runs via home runs. Today he was much improved and the key was location. Lilly was able to keep the ball down in the strike zone and his breaking ball was very effective.

Lou Piniella went with his B-Team lineup, featuring Derrek Lee in the cleanup spot (something I am not ever a fan of), while Aramis Ramirez, Milton Bradley, and Geovanny Soto sat out with injuries. Given this lineup, the offense was ok. The Cubs managed to put up 4 runs, which with the wind blowing in, should be enough to win. Lee went 2 for 3 with a 2B and an RBI single, he also walked twice. Fukudome added an RBI single and three walks; he is off to a good start. Koyie Hill also had a nice game going 2 for 3 with an RBI when he was walked with the bases loaded. However the Cubs were only 3-13 with Runners in Scoring Position and left 13 men on base. They wasted a few really good opportunities to score runs. With our regular lineup out there, we likely would have scored a few more runs.

Furthermore, the bullpen was solid, easily the best collective effort this season. ND guy, Aaron Heilman worked a scoreless 8th and still has a 0.00 ERA this season. Kevin Gregg struck out the side in the 9th, which was good to see. Gregg had been horrible the last few games. I still think the Cubs can still win with him as closer. I know he has faltered early and Carlos Marmol has been great. But Marmol can get out of any jam and can pitch more than one inning which is why I feel he is more valuable for the Cubs as a set-up man. If Gregg continues to blow saves however, Piniella will have no choice but to make Marmol the closer. I think we should wait until the end of the next two Cardinals series to make any judgments; I am interested to see how Gregg pitches against the Cardinals hitters in save situations.

1 comment:

  1. this is my fave part, "What a tool. I suspect the shorts and visor he was wearing in early April should have tipped me off to the fact that this guy sucked." hahaha. oh and you leaving quickly to avoid singing "go cubs go!" that cracks me up because one of my best friends loooves that song soo much and you and all of dan's friends revile it.

    ReplyDelete